Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Silverlight Toolkit Released!

The Silverlight Toolkit was released today! I, along with the rest of the Platform Presentation Controls team have been toiling on this release for months and we couldn't be more excited. ImplicitStyleManager As some of you may have been able to figure out from my last post I wrote the ImplicitStyleManager control which brings WPF-style implicit styling to Silverlight applications. It's a good example of functional programming in the wild (with available source to boot) and I'm very proud of it. For more information on what you can do with it stay tuned. Also be sure to check out Beatriz Stollnitz's blog. She was responsible for testing this control and without her efforts it would not be nearly as usable. I'll post more about this when I get the chance. The API's pretty self-explanatory so I'll focus on the implementation. Silverlight Charts The big one which I've been working very hard on (along with Delay and a few other developers who I wont mention as I haven't gotten their permission yet) is the Silverlight Charts. Be sure to check out Delay's blog for an intro to charting. In the coming days I'll be blogging about the architecture of the solution. I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to play a key role in the development of a control that will be around for such a long time. Since it is brand new we were given free reign to come up with the API and architecture. These opportunities don't come along every day. I would be posting more about it right now but I've taken a well-deserved couple of days off. :-) Couldn't resist a short blog post though. Enjoy the controls!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a software developer who started programming at age 16 and never saw any reason to stop. I'm working on the Presentation Platform Controls team at Microsoft. My primary interests are functional programming, and Rich Internet Applications.